Monday, December 19, 2005

I WS FTP. I have had the same install download for several years now. It is free. It does what I want. AOL provides its own ftp to my space there. I have verizon dsl, and there is free space there, but I have not tried the ftp. I purchase my website from minnesotashopper.com and they provide an ftp (web-based) for that. I did a google search on : hosting "years in business" to find someone who had been around for a long time. minnesotashopper.com was around for 8 or 10 years, which is a long time on the Internet. I wanted stability. I deal with the same person, and I know his name (kind of like Admin on this site). That is worth a lot. I should also mention that I had an inexpensive site at easyhost.com with supported mysql and php. The down side was you had to purchase/register a domain name, and when you did that, on line, with your credit card, it automatically made your home address and telephone available in WHOIS domain search engine.minnasotashopper.com was willing to register a domain name for me in their company name, anonymously, to protect my privacy.
I have had a free site for 6 or more years at www.0catch.com which provides ftp even to free sites. Today, I gave the sales department at 0catch.com a call, and they stated that if I purchase my free 0catch site, my privacy/identity will be protected, and there is no need for a domain name. Plus, as we all know, a domain name's registration must be renewed every year. Did I mention that 0catch is in Orem Utah? And they have been around for 6 years which seems pretty stable. And the did not shut down my site as an act of censorship.

I did use cute ftp when it was free, and then i purchased it, and then my hard drive crashed, and somehow, i would have had to repurchase it, but wsftp did what i needed by that time. I also used the cute program for html editing (cute-edit or something like that). Now I find that PS Pad, which is freeware, does everything I could ever want an html editor to do.
Periodically, at work (meaning one or twice a year) we receive an email from the programmer who wrote cuteFTP, looking for a job or contract work. That sticks in my mind, since cuteFTP was the first one I used about 7 or 8 years ago.

Since I made this post, I decided to try out my Verizon DSL 10 meg web space. And what do you know!? They instruct you to download WS FTP to access your webspace. Well, I have my old version which works fine. So, I just uploaded my revised website there in one fell swoop. The AOL built in ftp is kind of a pain, because you can only upload/download one file at a time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?