Monday, January 17, 2011

Health Care in Slovakia

Letter from my friend Sam:

My daughter Janulik, 29, came to Slovakia for Christmas in 2005. She became very ill and was hospitalized here for 3 months. During that three months she lost her US employment and subsequently lost her US health insurance. Because my wife (her mother) has Slovak citizenship my daughter is considered a dual citizen of Slovakia and her birth country the US. However, she cannot return to the US because her illness would be considered a "pre-existing condition" and she would not be covered by US insurance companies. My wife happily remains her in Slovakia to care for Janulik.

Here is a short non-professional, impromtu interview I did with my wife after the prescription drugs my daughter requires were delivered by a local pharmacist to our door this evening.

Everyone in Slovakia has health insurance. If you are employed your insurance is paid by your employer. If for any reason you find yourself unemployed or ill the state covers your premium. Private insurance companies provide the coverage. Slovakia is trying now to provide even better improvements to their healthcare system.  But excellent healthcare here is provided for all citizens. No one is denied access to healthcare. Note, Slovakia is a capitalist democracy that believes healthcare should be both affordable and available to all.

Download and play the attached 5-minute video of my interview with my wife.  (Hopefully this works! It was a spur of the moment idea!) If you can't play it, it will soon be available on YouTube at this link:

.

If the camera is shaking a bit, it's because I'm trying to keep our miniature Schnauzer Kenny from interfering with this incredible production!

PS:  Please support and help promote legislation before the Maryland General Assembly for single-payer health insurance for all Marylanders.  Find out more at: 
http://www.mdsinglepayer.org/

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?