Thursday, July 07, 2011

Social Networks and Privacy

One of the Diaspora* Developers started a thread for feedback so I said that Diaspora* for me is very satisfying in the sense that it gives me a similar experience to Facebook (meaning simply that I can make new contacts, post in threads, etc) so he became FURIOUS and shouted IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE FACEBOOK. So I said, Well, it does not have the advertisements (but I ignore those)... but still there is a fundamental model of a social network....  Some like me (and there are many) write all the time and we WANT people to invade our privacy and even hope that they will STEAL what we write (I put everything I will ever write in public domain years ago) so people like me do not care whether a social network is protecting our privacy or harvesting our interests or targeting us in advertising campaigns. Although I do totally understand the concerns of people who worry about privacy or ownership of intellectual property (kind of in the same way that as a male I understand or try to understand how a woman feels with menstrual cycles, pregnance, etc...   I try to understand but one will never FULLY understand unless one is born as a female... )

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?