Thursday, July 28, 2011

To be born again

For me, the notion of "born again" is rubbish and rhetoric and an emotionalism which makes no lasting difference. I realize I am a heretic in that I agree with Pelagius who held that each human being is born with all that is necessary to perfect themselves morally if only they have the will and apply themselves. Pelagius argued that IF the sin of one man, Adam could somehow taint all future generations with "original sin" including people who had never heard of Adam then it should be possible for Christ's crucifixion and resurrection to SAVE all human beings even those who have never heard of Christ. Plenty of people have some emotional experience which they believe is a "born again" experience only to later backslide and apostatize and perhaps become an even worse person than before the experience. Victoria Osteen, wife of Joel Osteen is a prime example in the altercation which occurred in the first class seating of a plane when she discovered some soil on her seat the size of a quarter. The monks and nuns of the first centuries would have competed with one another to clean the spot themselves rather than become violent with the stewardess. In fact, they would have taken coach seating so they might donate the savings to the poor. Once while arguing with a Protestant convinced of his "once saved always saved" guaranteed ticket into heave, I asked him "What would you do if you got to the judgment in heaven and God told you "I never knew you, get thee to the outer darkness" and he angrily said "The I could call God a dirty filthy liar because their are various verses which GUARANTEE my salvation."   Paul told his flock to "work out your salvation in fear and trembling." How can "fear and trembling" have meaning if all you have to do is snivel and as Jesus to forgive you and invite Jesus into your heart as your "personal savior."  When Jesus questions the apostles on various matters he stresses "men of flesh and blood have not taught you these things but the Father has given you to me." And again Jesus said "you did not chose me but I chose you and I loved you first."  But Jesus says "you are my friends IF you do as I say (which is works.)"  And Jesus sternly warns that "you shall be judged by every word that proceeds from your lips" and how could such judgment apply to those who had payed their lip service to Jesus and won their eternally guaranteed salvation.... AND... for those who were never "reborn" how could it apply to them to "be judged for every word" since surely that would imply the possibility that they might be saved, and then they would be saved minus the born again profession of faith. 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?